Saturday, January 2, 2010

Not quite a "Best of the Decade" list Part 1 - The Set Up

This isn't a list of the best films of the decade. First off I feel as if I have no right to declare anything the best of the decade. Instead, I feel I can only go as far as calling something a personal favorite. Also I feel this would be an unfair title because based on my viewing experiences I don't believe I can fairly judge the whole decade in film.

One of my limitations in creating this list is that I only started viewing films, big time in the past two years. It would seam than that most my choices would have been of films released in those years, but that isn't the case. Instead my favorite films tend to be either ones that my parents showed me before I was a film nut, or ones that have been recommended to me since I started focusing more towards artistic and non blockbuster filmmaking.

As well, as a sixteen years old Canadian, I've seen a little number of foreign and documentary films and therefore I find it unfair to include any on this list. This is not saying that I haven't seen any foreign films that are good enough to make my list. For example, a film like The Diving Bell and the Butterfly would most likely come near the top of this list.

So it seems as if a more fair title for this list would be something along the lines of "my top ten favourite American/ British narrative film's I've seen from the last decade," but that seems a bit long and unnecessary, doesn't it?

As a final notice before I state my favorite films, I'd like to inform you that as soon as I view any films that I believe should of been on this list, I will do my best to post my beliefs and notify you of them as soon as I can.

Here's a list of a bunch of my favourite films that just missed this list.

  • A Beautiful Mind (just because of the first time I saw it and the effect it had on me)
  • Almost Famous
  • Anchor Man
  • Catch Me if You Can
  • Curious Case of Benjamin Button
  • Far From Heaven
  • Gangs of New York
  • Garden State
  • Gone Baby Gone
  • Hustle and Flow
  • In Bruges
  • Juno/ Up in the Air (Jason Reitman is a director to watch for)
  • King Kong (you may think it's too long, I like every moment of it just how it is)
  • Knocked Up
  • Little Children/ In the Bedroom (Todd Field is a director to keep an eye on)
  • Lord of the Rings franchise
  • Lost in Translation
  • Mulholland Dr.
  • No Country for Old Men
  • O' Brother Where art Thou?
  • Precious
  • Shaun of the Dead
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • Super Bad
  • The 40 Year Old Virgin
  • The Aviator
  • The Constant Gardener (I always preferred it to City of God for several reasons)
  • The Hours
  • The new Batman franchise
  • Training Day
  • Walk the Line
  • Zoolander

For my Top 15 films tune in Tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment