Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A mini rant on the Blind Side

This morning after waking up I decided to watch the film that was getting all this best actress buzz and was sure to cross $200 million. This also happened to be the film with the worst trailer I've seen a long time, one so typical, so schmaltzy that it made me angry just to think of it getting any oscar attention. After finally seeing it I'm glad to say it was better then the trailer... but thats not much to brag about.

The Blind Side is such a by the books kind of film, the characters are boring, the dialogue is terrible and there are never any consequences. The family barely ever doubt there actions, even after the main character gets in a car accident with their young son all they do is support him and then never bring it up again. The film tries to be overly sentimental but there is not one moment that makes you come close to tearing up. In an attempt to make you better understand Michael the director keeps taking us to flashbacks of his past but none of it is ever dealt with or fully explored, leaving me even more confused.

The football is boring and his rapid improvement makes no sense, like one conversation will make him into a better player. To top it all off Jae Head and Quinton Aaron both give Razzie worthy performances, just watch as Michael cries out I'm sorry and try to take him seriously. On the bright side (yes you heard me there actually is a bright side), Sandra Bullock gives one of the finest performances of her career which is often hard to find behind that terrible dialogue and unfunny humor. Saying the best of her career isn't saying that much for Sandra Bullock though, and though I won't be screaming with anger when she gets her oscar nomination, I will still be upset. I'm not going to give this movie an F because I've seen a lot worse and there were definitely parts where I wasn't hating every moment so I'll be generous and give it a D/D+

No comments:

Post a Comment