Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Summer of Blockbusters

*This is an unedited post

In the last few years I have become a huge fan of the cinema and have set out to see all of the Oscar candidates come Oscar night. Therefore I try to see as many films through out the year as I can, yet I have several setbacks keeping me from being a true cinema geek. Being a 16 year old high school student is quiet an issue as I'm unable to see a lot of films during the school year and being the kind of student I am I can't take myself to a movie alone, and trust me it's quiet hard trying to convince my friends to see an unknown indie, a foreign language film or a biopic about someone they never even knew existed. Plus I'm not a critic and I don't get any free screenings so I'm only able to see a select amount of films throughout the year. With this in mind understand that I haven't been able to see a lot of films this summer but since it is reaching it's end and I am just beginning I thought I'd give my much appreciated yet nonexistent readers a little look at my taste in movies by showing them my five favourite movies of the summer that was.


5. Star Trek


Walking into this film I knew nothing about the Star Trek saga, having not seen a single Star Trek film previous to this one and having never seen an episode of any of the series. Coming in with no Star Trek knowledge was not a problem though as the film explained itself thoroughly leaving nothing unanswered. The film was not just a blockbuster, though it had action that kept you on the edge of your seat it also had a lot of strong characters with added tension between the films two leads, a romance and comic relief there wasn't a boring moment throughout the film. B+




4. Public Enemies


This film is a great character piece that works so well because of it's great direction and incredible performances all around. As the films lead Johnny Depp is incredible as John Dillinger fully understanding his emotions and allowing the audience to do the same. Just like Depp, Marion Cotillard also completely embraces her roll as do the rest of the cast. Michael Mann directs this film incredibly allowing the film to flow through naturally, sparing no details getting the audience to understand the characters and feel for them emotionally. The films largest fault is the camerawork which sometimes is so shaky and out of focus you can't focus on what is actually going on in the film. A-



3. The Hurt Locker


Possibly the most intense movie of the summer. The Hurt Locker is a well acted, character driven, action packed war story that allows the viewers to understand the characters motives and what goes through their minds. A fast paced never boring film that ignores the politics behind war and instead focuses on the soldiers who do the real work. The film is not just an action film, it's a dramatic look at the psychology of war and it's heros. A definite oscar contender and a more then just entertaining watch. A-



2. Inglourious Basterds


Quentin Tarantino's best film since Pulp Fiction is a great mixture of comedy, drama, action and strong dialogue done in the incredible way that only Tarantino can do. The films stars are all quiet good but all are overshadowed by the incredible Christopher Waltz who will give chills to every audience member in the theatre every time he goes on screen, delivering each of his lines perfectly from the first scene to weeks after viewing it's impossible to forget Waltz's pitch perfect performance. The Basterds are not the lead characters in the film but they do provide great comic relief, especially from Brad Pitt who is hilarious particularly while speaking Italian. This is a film to see over and over again, one I will no doubt purchase on DVD. A



1. Up


The best Pixar film since Finding Nemo, Up is the most stunning scenery wise film Pixar has ever created with some of the funniest characters and most touching first 15 minutes ever shown in an animated film. Up is probably the funniest, most heartfelt and deep animated film I have ever seen. With memorable characters and all around perfect craftsmanship Up is one of Pixar's grandest gems. A+

No comments:

Post a Comment